I realised the other day that I’ve done shockingly little baking with Ez. I didn’t do a lot with Annie (thanks mess phobia!) but I’ve done even less with the Bear.
I decided then in a guilt induced haze that we must bake, so bake we did! I decided to start super simple so busted out this 3 ingredient cheese puff recipe.
I let Ez do most of the work and he loved every minute of it. He chose some spooky halloween cutters and some stars, cut the pastry (with a wee bit of help), put them onto the baking sheet, did the egg wash by himself and then smothered those bad boys in a lot of cheese.
I will admit that it was very hard not to step in and help more but I was very aware that I wanted this to be his project and I really didn’t want to stifle his enjoyment.
We rerolled the pastry as his cookie cutter placement didn’t make optimal use of the space – these thoughtless 2 year old eh?! I don’t know if those broke some unwritten puff pastry rule but it worked fine for us.
He was so excited to watch them go into the oven and I have to say that the finished puffs were delicious, they barely lasted until lunchtime the next day.
Recipe after the photos…
- 1 pack of ready to use puff pastry
- 1 egg
- Grated cheese (I bought the pre-grated stuff, lazy but awesome!)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Unfurl your puff pastry and go mad with the cookie cutters
- Place the pastry shapes on a sheet of baking parchment
- Beat the egg and brush over the pastry shapes
- Cover in cheese, as you can see above there’s no such thing as ‘too much’
- Bake until the cheese is bubbly and the pastry has puffed up
Ensure you pull a ‘woohoo I did it’, fists in the air type pose before putting them in the oven, as demonstrated above!
What is your go to baking with a toddler recipe?